Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 May 2002 04:27:56 -0500
From:         "Terry K." <CTONLINE@WEBTV.NET>
Subject:      Re: Subject: Re: Want to paint camper roof
Comments: To: Mike Boland <Mboland@bbnow.net>

So MIke,

With this theory in mind,

If I took an aluminum plate, and laid it flat on a peice of steel,your telling me the aluminum would corrode, after a period of time?

I doubt it-----

If I am not mistaking, it would take a bunch of H2O passing between these two metals at a constant rate to cause a cavitation phenomia, for this to occur---

So, I believe one would have to run his / her vehicle through a car wash 10 times a day, every day, for maybe 10 years for this to happen between the pop rivets, and the cleats on the luggage rack----

And a simple solution to this hypothetical problem, would simply insulate the rivet from the cleat---dip the rivet into a bit of silicone, prior to installing it into the stainless cleat---or bolt a sacrificial lead annode on the luggage rack--yea that's it----and nothing will happen----

Ok, one more thing---please tell me the source for the stainless pop rivets, that I never have seen---

Later,

Terry

E-mail message Mike Boland

electrolysis is due to two different types metals...one acts as - other as + in time they'll corriod.. Mike