Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 May 2002 08:57:14 -0700
From:         David White <whit9441@UIDAHO.EDU>
Subject:      disc brake pressure regulator

Who has experience with the pressure regulator for disc brakes on the air cooled vanagons? I have a 1981 vanagon with an interesting problem. As soon as I start the engine the front wheels pretty much lock up--I cannot turn the wheels by hand and the van feels very underpowered. The rear wheels spin fine. If I turn the engine off for about 15 minutes the front wheels loosen up and will spin. I have loosened the brake line at both front wheels and there isn't alot of pressure in the line.

The only other clue I will give you is that I recently replaced some of the elbows and vacuum hoses that go to the brake booster.

After looking through the vanagon manual I see that there is a regulator for the disc brakes. My original plan was to replace the master cylinder but now I wonder if the problem is in this regulator and not the master cylinder.

My main question is whether there is a way to test the regulator and/or the master cylinder while they are in the vehicle so that I don't have to replace both. For example if the master cylinder is not releasing correctly will there be high pressure in the brake line that leads to this disc regulator whereas if the problem is the disc regulator then will the high pressure be in line after the regulator?

Finally the idiot's guide firmly states that backyard mechanics such as myself shouldn't even mess around with this disc pressure regulator and instead put this repair job into the hands of a qualified mechanic. I understand the function of this regulator and it seems like I'll know pretty quickly if I did the job right--the rear end will lock up when I apply too much pressure to the brake pedal. Am I close? I live out in the sticks so I can take a test drive without the worry of harming others. The worst thing that could happen is that I end up in the ditch.

Thanks in advance, David