Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 May 2002 21:29:54 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Driving In Canada
Comments: To: Greg <kessler@OHIO.EDU>

Canada Customer and the Police are two different things - I have had the run around with Canada Customs coming back from the USA a few times, never coming back from Europe though...

Interesting fact - just to keep the Vanagon content going here.

I have now personally seen TWO Double Cabs that have been confiscated by US Customs for drug smuggling. Both DoKas had their under-bed storage compartments full of weed and were WELDED and Bondoed shut with a nice coat of paint so no one would think there is anything there.... the people who owned these DoKas went so far as to take out the frame rails that support the bed to maximize the storage area.

Perhaps it is from these two examples that the T3 is getting a bad name at the boarder!

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3

http://www.fastforward.ca mailto:sales@fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

- Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions - Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation - European Lighting for most Volkswagen models

I have to chime in on this thread.

I was traveling last Summer across the US and planned on returning to ohio through canada after a visit to Glacier National Park. Upon entering Canada between the US and Canadian portions of the park, we were stopped, held for almost two hours, taken inside and questioned and our van was searched thoroughly while one of the "officers" (after not finding anything in a lengthy search) asked me "when did you last smoke pot?"

I couldn't help but laugh as these two twenty something "experts" continued to sift through all of our stuff certain they were on to something.

I was also pissed as could be since:

1) I had all the documents in order (including total documentation to bring our dog into the country)

2) I wasn't transporting any drugs and had no sign of any drugs in my vehicle

3) I have travelled through Canda many times in the past (in other vehicles) and had no problems.

4) I had just returned from trips to Egypt, Germany and Japan and had been treated with the utmost of respect at all of those customs points...and this was Canada?!?

5) We had traveled all across the US for two weeks witout being stopped once and the second we hit the Canadian line this is how we were treated.

Once we cleared customs ( and my wife finally calmed down) we turned around and headed back home through the US. I didn't want to spend the rest of my trip being hassled by simple-minded authorities who think they can identify a threat simply based on the type of vehicle they drive. There is plenty to see here in the US without having to be treated this way!

I can only assume from my experience and the others on this list that the Canadian Government is targeting VW vans.

Greg 86 Westy 73 Thing 99 Subaru Forester