Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 May 2002 10:27:07 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: 1982 diesel  vanagon water pump belt
Comments: To: "F.J. Stefanovich" <jstef@FLASH.NET>

IMHO, this is a bad practice. With only one belt there is very little contact with the water pump pulley. Look and you will see what I mean. If the belt should get a little loose and/or the pump get harder to turn, the water pump may not always spin. The alternator will still spin so you won't get any warning before the temp shoots up and engine failure occurs.

With the stock 2 belt system the alternator only spins if the water pump does. Any failure that causes the water pump pulley to stop will also cause the alternator to stop turning and the RED ALT led will come on to tell you to stop and check to see what is wrong.

Mark

"F.J. Stefanovich" wrote: > > When I bought this Vanagon new, it had two belts on it, and I > always replaced them as a pair. Then the alternator belt broke > in Aachen, Germany in '94. I made it to a VW dealer and they put > on the single belt. When I questioned this, the service manager > said it was the way they did it now as the "modern" belts were > more reliable than the old ones. He showed me two diesel > Vanagons they had in the shop at the time and they both had the > single belt. I've put about 40k on it with one belt with no > problems. > > Joe in Albuquerque > >