Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 May 2002 13:25:50 -0500
From:         "Dan R. Hall" <trilobite@WESTAL.NET>
Subject:      Just cause

A few weeks ago I was traveling past the Atlanta Airport on Interstate 85 in Atlanta, Georgia about 9pm. I was pulled over by the East Atlanta Police for a tail light being out. The officer(well by the time I was asked out of the vehicle there were 3 officers) asked what I was doing and where I was going. I suspect that legally he doesn't have a right to know that but I didn't see the point of discussing it then and there. So, I told him I was traveling from my home in Alabama to a band rehearsal in Atlanta. Yep. Driving a VW Vanagon. Moptop hairdo and sideburns, plays in a band. I knew what was coming next.

He asked about "the smell" that was coming from the inside of my van. I told him it was the remains of a Taco Bell chicken burrito. He began to tell me that I-85 was one of the main drug smuggling routes into Atlanta and a lot of times people put things in their car to cover up the smell of marijuana. I replied that neither I nor any member of my band uses marijuana.

He was polite but obviously not interested in what I was saying only in getting to the "May we search your vehicle?" question. So, I took a deep breath, told him that I understood he had a job to do and that I didn't want to bring any trouble down on my own shoulders but that I would rather not submit to the search because I don't use narcotics and I was already gonna be late. At that point, he told me that it was my right to refuse the search but that by law they could bring the dog out for a sniff around the outside. I readily agreed, of course, and out came the K-9 unit(luckily they were already on scene.) I also thought to ask what movement the dog would make if he alerted on my car. Otherwise, they can say he alerted if he sniffs twice on something. The dog went immediately to a point about 5 feet to the right of my van and started sniffing in the weeds. One of the officers followed the K-9 with a flashlight(thinking I'd tossed the contraband no doubt) but Fido only hunkered down to relief him/herself. Then a quick sniff around my vehicle and all was smiles and handshakes and have a good evening Mr. Hall.

I make this same drive about once every two weeks. I see this same policeman shooting radar at the same spot nearly every time. Maybe I should stop off and offer him some coffee tonight. :-)

I think the most important thing in this situation is to remain calm and be very polite and understanding. Attitude is gonna count for a lot. Imagine how many stops these guys make a week. I'd suspect their bullsh*t/attitude detectors are finely tuned.

Yes, it is your right to refuse but I WOULD NOT recommend rolling the window up and driving off until the officer tells you it is OK.

dan