Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 May 2002 16:18:26 -0500
From:         Chris Mills <scmills@TNTECH.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Radar detector

>I know a man who sold radar detectors. The fact is (he said) that none of >them worked. Snake oil would work better.

As along time user of Radar Detectors, I think I'll throw my .02 in real quick.

A radar detector simply tells you that it detected a few specific signals on certain bandwidths (correct term?).

It is up to the driver to interpret the signals.

That said there are several good techniques both sides are using.

The cops have gone to laser which is very specific and does not often alert the drivers around you that your speed is being checked. Some states use helicopters and stop watches. Some use instant on radar. All of these can be used on you or your fellow drivers without a clue that anything is going on. Doesn't give you much time to react either.

On the other hand if you will let somebody else lead the pack and if you use a radar detector you can - in theory - know his speed is being checked before your speed gets checked (assuming the cop is up front and not out behind you someplace).

I have had as much success following faster drivers as with a radar detector. Put those two together and I think you would be really well off. These days though I mostly just drive the speed limit.... Causes a whole lot less stress and over a 3 hour drive - 10 mph only gets you there 20-30 minutes sooner - it takes me a WHOLE lot longer to work off $150+.

Oh and with time radar detector's sensitivities seem to go down (age).

See ya.

Chris Mills in TN