Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 May 2002 21:40:44 -0500
From:         Donald Baxter <onanov@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bumper Stickers (a bit of a rant)

You know, there really is never, never any reason to tailgate anyone. It's dangerous, it's pointless. For the person who is being tailgated, he's a fool if he allows that to dictate his behaviour. Tailgating someone in a Vanagon is even crazier than than in a vehicle with some crash protection.

The options? Well, you can always slow down and wait for whoever is in your way to move out. How much time do you think you save by intimidating someone? What happens if he or she is crazy enough to slam on the brakes? It's been my experience that we all stop at the same traffic lights. We all end up waiting behind the same person who is going 65 when I want to go 75 and someone tailgating me wants to go 85.

While I think it's ridiculous for someone to drive in the fast lane to attempt to enforce a speed limit, and slower drivers should always drive to the right, my experience is that I've got someone on my ass when I'm doing 80 (not in the Vanagon of course, in my VR6 Passat) passing someone doing 70.

My vote for a bumpersticker is this:

"How much faster than the car in front of my do YOU think I should be going?"

Ease off the testosterone, boys, it might save someone's life. Think (with your head).

Donald Baxter 724 Westgate Street #1 Iowa City, IA 52246 (319) 337-0494 donald.baxter@mchsi.com