Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 May 2002 22:26:15 -0500
From:         Marshall <mjruskin@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: 87 Door Handle broken & Door Stuck!
Comments: To: EarthSister <websister@EARTHNOW.ORG>

One thing you could try, and it's not hard to do, it to remove the door handle, and then release the mechanism.

You say you can open the door from the inside?

Great! - open it and look at the rubber door seal nearest to the handle, on the inside edge of the door.

If you peel back the rubber, you will see a phillips head screw which hold the door handle on. Usually it's a brass color, if I'm not mistaken.

Get a philips screwdriver (one that fits well!) and remove the screw. You can then pull the door handle backwards towards the edge, (away from the hinge) and it will come off easily. It'll just almost pop off.

At that point, you can trigger the door release, by pressing on the piece of metal inside the door. This may release the mechanism.

If the problem is in the handle itself, some lube - pretty well anything (at this point) can be used to free up whatever is stuck.

After you have it released, you can then properly lube the door lock with some teflon spray.

When you put the handle back on - make sure the plastic seal under the handle is seated properly, and make sure the single screw is good and tight. If it loosens up - use some mild lock-tite from a parts store.

Hope this helps,

Marshall Ruskin 84 Westy Winnipeg, MetricLand

----- Original Message ----- From: "EarthSister" <websister@EARTHNOW.ORG> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2002 01:32 PM Subject: 87 Door Handle broken & Door Stuck!