Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 May 2002 02:42:42 EDT
From:         JordanVw@AOL.COM
Subject:      my bad cop story..(was: Re: Just Cause
Comments: To: chris.smith@AQUILA.NET

my worst incodent was 2 months ago, on a friday night, about 130am (yea, i have no life), i had been working late on my vanagon ('84 wolfsburg) just put in a new rear heater core from BUSDEPOT (plug for Ron ;<) and bled all the air out and wanted to take it for a spin.. i was driving on the freeway (PA - I-78) for a while to get the coolant nice and hot.. and had pulled over to the shoulder and left the van idling w/ headlights on, but no flashers and crawled back into the passenger area and got down on my hands and knees and was looking into the rear blower housing and the surrounding area w/ a flashlight checking for leaks... i was too involved in what i was doing and with the rumble of the S&S exhaust system from VAN-AGAIN (plug for Ken;<) and Limp Bizkit blaring on the (now replaced) stock speakers, i didnt notice the blue and red lights reflecting off of the headliner until i heard a loud knock at the sliding camper window (scared the SH*T outta me) and a statie yelling at me to put my hands where he could see them... I mean, what was his problem?? couldnt he see that i was checking my rear heater core for leaks? i mean REALLY!!! shining his govt. issue maglite/nightstick/retina burning flashlite right into my eyes.. he opened the drivers door and asked me what i was doing - the whole time blinding me w/ the maglite, raised above his shoulder......i told him i was "checking my rear heater core for leaks" (like he really knew what that was, i could have said "im stashing a dime bag of weed under my rear sofabed" as it would have gotten the same reaction).. he asked if he could take a look inside.. at this point i was alittle pissed, and jittery from him startling me, and i made a condescending noise like "hmmmph" like i was being inconvienced (which..i was) and to which he responded.. "did you just say "hmmmph" to me?" "are you giving me an attitude??" i was like "no, im not" quickly adding the word "officer" to that (knowing where this was heading) and said "yes, you can look" and pointed out to him my tools still on the floor of the vanagon and the sweet smell of coolant still lingering inside.. he focused on the area under the sofabed, and even looked up into the rear blower motor housing w/ his flashlight to which i remarked "see any leaks in there?" (BAD IDEA..cop was NOT AMUSED.) apparently dissapointed that he didnt find any contraband, he then took my liscence/registration/owners card , instructed me to put the hazards on and sit in the drivers seat while he went back to the cruiser.... .....where i think he ate a whole box of donuts and took a nap because it seemed like forever (maybe he was running my plate in all 50 states).. and finally came back and handed me my lisc/cards back and said nothing other than "remember to use your hazards when making an emergency stop along the interstate, buckle up and drive safely" and then walked back to his cruiser, waited for me to drive off (made sure i used my turn sig when pulling back out onto the highway) and he followed me for a few miles and then he made a U turn in the median and went the other way..

good news was my rear heater core doesnt leak now.. ;<) chris