Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 May 2002 13:56:25 -0400
From:         Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@USA.DUPONT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Best Cranking Amps For Tiico Starter
Comments: To: "Phil S." <napszeerf@YAHOO.COM>

As far as I know, the only battery size that fits is a Group 42, and there are only a few variants of this size in terms of CCA. All I know is that it is more than sufficient to start your I-4. It is the same battery that is in my '89 Jetta diesel. Just don't buy the cheapest 42. Interstate is a good brand. For better cranking power, you could do what I did--put a second 42 under the back seat and run stout cables right to the starter. It is only a 2 foot run from there. When camping, I disconnect this battery and run off of the original 42 under the passenger seat. Works for me.

Jay PS: heavier gauge has a lower number. I ran 0/1 AWG cables from the second battery.

"Phil S." <napszeerf@YAHOO.COM>@gerry.vanagon.com> on 05/17/2002 01:43:39 PM

Please respond to "Phil S." <napszeerf@YAHOO.COM>

To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM cc: Subject: Re: Best Cranking Amps For Tiico Starter

--- "G. Matthew Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM> wrote: > A Tiico motor is simply a 2.0L R/J/G I-4 motor, > right? If so, 200 CCA > is sufficient. 350 is great. 500 is over the top. > You can easily start > an eight cylinder diesel in the dead of winter with > 420 CCA. > > Beyond unnecessary excess, at some point (not sure > where) extra CCA in > your van becomes a course in diminishing returns, > since the Vanagon has > 1/4 mile-long positive battery lead. Mine only looks > like 6 gauge. You > electro types out there can do the math for us, but > only a certain > amount of current can run through that lead. > > Nevertheless, if the chips were down, you could > probably start that puny > 2.0 reliably with a 60 CCA garden tractor battery. > If having lots more > makes you happy, buy an 800 CCA; they make 'em. > > Pax-- > > G. Matthew Bulley > Mount Olive, NC

I see......so what if I was to run a thicker gauge wire, say 20G for the posative lead? And Maybe shorten the length to 1/8 mile long:)

Phil