Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 May 2002 01:38:56 +0000
From:         TJ Hemrick <themrick@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Overheated-broke down  What should I replace?

I've finally joined that long but distinguished list of those who've been stranded by their VW. For those who have not had the pleasure of this, your time is coming but good for you. For those who have had this happen, nice to be among friends. ANYHOW, now that I'm done lamenting...Since I have to replace a major part of my cooling system (t-piece for 87 Syncro-a Syncro only part that connects a bunch of hoses)what do you all recommend I replace in addition to the broke part. I'm doing the thermostat and O-ring but I'm considering the sensors and relays while the system is open. I know the low level sensor and gauge sensor are working just fine! I've had intermittent problems with the high speed cooling fan not kicking in (especially with the A/C on or at idle (when you need them most!) I've got some spare relays that I need to test so I don't waste any money on them but if anyone thinks one the temp sensors should be replace also let me know. I was able to score a used radiator that I plan to have completely cleaned at the local radiator shop. Hopefully that will help. My thanks to Eric Nettles a former (his 87 wolfie caught fire) listee who came to my aid in central Florida. Vanagon/VW diehards are a good bunch of folks when the chips are down. Thanks Eric! BTW, he still has some parts so if you need something drop me a line and I'll forward it.

Thanks TJ 87 weekender Syncro