Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 May 2002 22:47:37 -0700
From:         Rubatoguy <Rubatoguy@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: anti-sway bar
Comments: To: warmerwagen@HOTMAIL.COM

It s commonplace for off-roaders to dissconnect their anti-swaybars to give them more articulation between the wheels on the same axle. Remember the anti-sway bar acts by placing an opposite force to the wheel at the other end of the axle. So if you were off road and one wheel traveled over a huge hole - the anti-sway bar would tend to hold the wheel up, rather than let it drop into the hole. This can lead to undesireable traction consequences.

However, your experience depends on the type of terrain you are traveling over.

Many companies make anti-sway bars for 4x4 vehicles with quick-dissconnect link ends, so off-roaders can enjoy the best of both worlds. See the ADDCO article here: http://www.4x4review.com/events/sema99/

Todd '88 Westy