Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 May 2002 00:40:49 +1000
From:         Andrew Jack <andrewxp@AJ.DNSALIAS.NET>
Subject:      Re: anti-sway bar (longish)
Comments: To: John Clemens <jbclem@earthlink.net>

John,

A diff lock goes a long way to eliminating the shortcomings of a sway bar off road. Basically, by locking the diff you will still have traction even if one rear wheel is unloaded or in the air. As mentioned by Dave Carpenter, the sway bar does not limit *total* wheel travel, just independent travel. You could still come unstuck (literally) if the surface is slippery and two driven wheels would give you progress, but one is insufficient.

Robert Keezer's example was good, but did not cover the case where there may be changing levels on the road, and for example the left front and right rear wheels are up, and the right front and left rear wheels are down. With limited articulation, this can result (if stopped) in the vehicle see-sawing or pivoting on a line left front/right rear. A sway bar will see this happening earlier, which was my originial point. Even a four wheel drive (without difflocks) will be stuck. Your diff lock would save the day, with the proviso, as stated above, that one driven wheel can provide enough traction to extricate the vehicle.

As for when the diff lock should be engaged, IMHO only when traction loss is imminent and at the lowest practicable speed. In most cases, except when very slippery, the diff lock can be engaged once you become "hung up" and it will save the day - this method also has the advantage of the vehicle letting you know "I'm almost at the limit". My Audi 80 quattro has a pushbutton diff lock that automatically disengages when the speed rises above 15mph. A diff lock has the effect of trying to make the vehicle go in a straight line if both wheels on the locked axle have traction - ie loss of steering effectiveness. This is even more pronounced with a front diff lock. If the diff lock is engaged on a high traction surface, axle torquing could cause something to break (probably the most expensive component).

As an example of how a diff lock can be used, a couple years back I was at a ski resort, and we had a decent (for Australia) dump of snow (10-12" IIRC). The access roads and main carpark were duly plowed, but not the carpark I was in (along with several full size 4WDs and a few 2WDs). We needed to reposition the vehicles to fit a few more in, and the 4WDs manouvered with much wheelspin, sideslip, snow flying everywhere, foul language and general lack of control. The 2WDers witnessed this and stayed put. I decided, ok, I'll get out of the carpark and let the other guy in (Honda Accord, with chains), then bring my car (Audi 80 quattro, no chains) back after he's finished fooling around. So, without any fuss, I proceeded to exit the carpark. On a steepish slope I engaged the diff lock as there was (slight) side slippage. The Honda then couldn't even make it 10' into the carpark, despite chains, lots of run ups and cussing. I then proceeded back into the carpark, again no fuss thanks to the diff lock (& AWD) and parked where I had been before. A crowd of onlookers, who had been there from the start, was totally amazed by how in control and effortless my maneuvering was compared to the 4WDs (messy) and the chained 2WDs (ineffectual) and several looked at my front wheels and said "how did you do that without chains and in an ordinary car?".

In regards to articulation, in this context, I was refering to each wheels ability to "touch(ing) the ground at the same time", but more specifically relative wheel travel - ie a sway bar reduces articulation - or relative wheel travel - between the linked wheels.

Andrew

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Clemens" <jbclem@earthlink.net> To: "Andrew Jack" <andrewxp@AJ.DNSALIAS.NET>; <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, May 18, 2002 9:09 AM Subject: Re: Re: anti-sway bar