Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 May 2002 23:06:14 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: all those tire postings
Comments: To: dvdkng1958 <dvdkng1958@MSN.COM>

David, tires and everything else about a Vanagon are expensive. Gotta lov'em though. Most of us that own them are willing to put up with their ideosyncracies, high maintenance, and expensive or hard to find parts purely and simply because nothing else made by manufacturers today serves and meets our particular needs so well. My kids razz me all the time about being an old hippie trying to go back to his youth by driving a Volkswagen bus of some sort. Truth is, I would not have one of the modern vehicles they drive, mainly because as a daily driver my 88GL Vanagon serves my needs so well. I can haul the girlfriend in it, go camping in it, haul a pallet load of bags of cement in it, or 4 x 8 sheets of plywood or fifteen 2 X 6 X 12 ft pieces of lumber along with a 12 foot step ladder ---- all inside and out of the weather (the girlfried especially appreciates that part).

So you will be faced with all the choices the rest of us have faced with our vans.

You may very well be faced with getting new rims for bigger tires as the re-inforced sidewall tires become more and more difficult to find in a 14 inch. But even if you do have to buy new rims and tires, it's not near the problem buyers of later vehicles are about to face. Check out my up coming post to the list - More Rim - Less Tire.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver