Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 May 2002 10:16:30 -0500
From:         "Terry K." <CTONLINE@WEBTV.NET>
Subject:      Re: More Rim - Less Tire
Comments: To: Alan Pickersgill <alanpick@MAGMA.CA>

Alan,

I was a non believer for a long time, as far as the reinforced sidewall thing----

I have 205-75-R 14 Cooper's rate at 1500 lbs. @ 36 psi 0n my 85 GL----

It does blow around and follow tire ruts pretty easy----handles good in corner's, due to the suspension upgrades, but it still wants to do the maringa going in a straight line on a windy day, or if passed by a Large Car----( semi )

Now on my 87 Westy it did have D rated Yoko's on it when I bought it---( 185's ) and I truly noticed the difference---

I just replaced them, as they were getting thin----with 195's, and there is even more improvement in straight line stability---

And it even got better with the addition of new KYB's, and the Air Lift's---

So in retrospect--And I am a hard sell--and it took me awhile to bend to the other side---but after having driven two different Vans--one being top heavier than the other---and appreciating the change in handling with the reinforced sidewall------I'm sold---a Changed man---

PTL !!!

They do work well----There is a difference----

No View, no opinion----Fact---

Now if I was to change wheel sizes--I'd go right for the gusto----21 inch chrome spoked wheels with donut's on them--so the first pot hole I'd hit--I'd be buying new wheels and tire's----right away--

I'd also take a course in Spanish, so I could communicate with the rest of the weird wheel community---:>)

Later,

Terry

E-mail message From Alan Pickersgill

John: I know full well there are strong views on the subject of reinforced sidewalls vs. not reinforced. So what I'm about to say will lead to a host of opinion about the risk of using non-reinforced sidewall tires. My experience has been that non-reinforced are safe and that they handle OK too. I've had two sets of un-reinforced Pirellis about 40,000 - 50,000 km from each and have used a number of other un-reinforced used tires. Recently 1,000 km ago bought a No Name brand recommended by a shop that also sells Nokia and a Yoko ,who has sold me a number of sets of tires. These are called Sports IV made in China for a Korean company. In my first 1000 km I had cause to drive 10 hours towing a trailer in v. high winds and they were fine. Next day low wind but monsoon rain - deep puddles - no aquaplaning. Tested them under hard braking on wet pavement - very impressive wet stopping. To me wet performance is the most important test of any tire - as one is foolish to take a West to the limits in any other regard. But sooner or later we may all need to brake really hard on wet pavement and it is best if the vehicle slows down - preferably without drama. These tires were bought (a Mazda dealer) to be used as an inexpensive tire to put on their used cars. The dealers mechanics and others started buying them because of the low price and they began to rave about how good they are, long life good handling in all conditions and have a road hazard. I decided to try them - at $70 Canadian installed and balanced before tax - so far I'm very pleasantly surprised. Alan Pickersgill '85 Transporter converted to Westfalia Ottawa Canada ----- Original Message ----- From: John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, May 19, 2002 12:21 AM Subject: More Rim - Less Tire Recently I was over to my local tire shop and Michelin dealer to have my tires rotated, balanced and front end aligned. My M Michelin MXT 205-75 R14's are getting worn and knowing I can't get the Ultimate Michelin for the old Red Brick next time, I needed to start considering what to replace them with. Right off the bat the dealer suggested I look into going up to a slghtly bigger rim. That would give me more options. Of course that led to a discussions of rims.