Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 May 2002 15:33:36 -0700
From:         Blake Heinlein <blakeheinlein@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Question about rear differential seals

Hello all,

History: I have a question regarding the oil seals on my differential. I own a '84 Automatic Vanagon. Recently I had all of the oil seals replaced on my automatic transmission and differential. However I still have leaks. I spent some time cleaning and watching where the leak was coming from. The oil leak is differential fluid and its leaking from each side of the differential where the half shafts go in. (The point were the CV joints are bolted to the differentail. From my inspection it's not leaking around the shaft but rather it's leaking from inbetween the tightening gland and the differential case. I looked in Bently and found that there is a O-ring that was not replaced and that is where it is leaking from.

Question: Can I back out the tighening gland and then replace the O-Ring without having to check the differential for backlash? If I match mark the tighening gland and count the number of revolutions I back out the gland will it all mate back together when I retighen the gland.

Commentary: I want to fix it right by replacing the o-ring but I don't have the tools or time to pull the differential to have the backlash checked. My other option is to just pull the CV joints and half-shafts and put high-temp silicone sealant on the outside and just try to make the leak stop that way. Ya know, the shade tree mechanic style.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks, Blake (hope that the text on this email wraps the way it's supposed to) ________________________________ Blake Heinlein blakeheinlein@hotmail.com http://members.accessbee.com/heinlein/