Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 May 2002 17:57:30 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      SYNCRO de MAYO was Great! (early details)

The 3rd annual Syncro De Mayo event was held this past weekend in Hollister California. I'd guess about 50 Vanagons showed up, most of them Syncros. What a great bunch of people. MANY THANKS to Peter Buettner and Ron Lussier for taking charge at the last minute when Steve Schwenk's mother died.

When I woke up Sat am, I did a quick count of 31 Syncros camped overnight. Many more came Sat but I was too busy and things too confused to get an accurate count. There were Syncros EVERYWHERE!

Several groups went up on the trails where John Wessels' SyncroMog ruled. Tom Lengyel(decoupler fame) put on demos of what a highly skilled driver could do with a stock looking Syncro. His dual lockers and an aggressive VC paired with a decoupler helped a bit.

The trails were marked for 3 levels of difficulty and Syncro owners of all skill and experience levels could find trails to try. It was fun to see the reactions of new Syncro owners to the unbelievable ability of Syncros to traverse impossible looking terrain without damage. Then they got to do it themselves. There is a great video coming with this stuff on it.

We had many model variations of Syncro such as Passenger, Wolfsburg Westy, full Westy, Adventurewagen, Country Home, and even Tristar. Most had minor or major improvements from stock. There were endless discussions of the advantages and problems posed by each current or proposed modification as this is the way of Vanagon folk.

For alternate engine choices I saw: 2- TIICO VW 2.0 inline 4, 6- Subaru 3.3, 2.5, 2.2 2- Audi 5Cyl, 2.5, 2.2

Thanks again to everyone who made it a great event!

Mark and Anne Drillock 87 Syncro Camper, Audi 5cyl 2.2