Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 May 2002 11:37:37 -0400
From:         Tim Spotted Wolf <spottedwolf@CYBERTOURS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 84 update/head job

You might remember my post about my 84 vanagon overheating? After receiving some great info from all of you fine van owners I decided it was time to get into the heads as a possible culprit to my over heating problem. I checked the thermostat, water pump, hoses, radiator .. tried bleeding it numerous times with no positive results.

Today I removed the Left head (facing the back of vehicle. No problems! no broken bolts , studs or knuckles. Once removed I could see the tiny little green O-rings around the cylinders.. they looked complete if not a bit dirty but they were no scorched or broken. one problem I do see is a small crack between the valves. Problem???? do I need to fix that crack or buy a new head???

When I got to the right side things were going smooth then Ping! I broke am exhaust stud in the head! Ouch!! The rest look badly corroded also and should prove to be a pain in the knuckles. I thought it wise to stop, get lunch, regroup and write you guys and gals. then go back at it. It's going to be a long day , hehehe....I just hope this fixes my over heating problem (the van, not me! hehe)

More later... here I go..... Tim