Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 May 2002 15:40:06 -0500
From:         "Dan R. Hall" <trilobite@WESTAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: JB Weld exhaust studs?...
Comments: To: Richard Bias <rbias@HOTMAIL.COM>

Richard, In my opinion, that wouldn't be a very good idea. It might work but eventually you might live to regret it. I feel like the heat and vibration would soon render the JB useless. Then you are left with gummed up threads full of crud.

Have you thought of drilling out and retapping the holes? Perhaps another listee might have experience to lend on the feasiblilty of this.

If you don't want to go that route, I'd try a Loctite thread locker. They make a blue thread locker that is fairly easy to work with but if the threads are in really bad shape and considering the amount of heat that the stuff will be subjected to I'd try the super strong Loctite thread locker(might be green in color.) This stuff requires heat(propane torch) and lots of it to get it to let loose. We use it around our fish farm to hold bolts that are spinning on PTO shafts and prone to backing out.

Be advised. This is only a suggestion. I've never uesd the stuff on my Vanagon. Solicit other opinions. Your mileage may vary.

Dan Hall '86 Westy Wolfy "Das Boot" aka "Reacher's Ship" ----- Original Message ----- From: Richard Bias To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 12:57 PM Subject: JB Weld exhaust studs?...

Good afternoon All, I am interested in knowing if anyone has "JB Weld"ed their exhaust studs (permanently) into their heads? I am looking to replace the rear header pipe on my 85 GL (164K miles) and I know the last time I was there, the stud in the holes had alot of play in them. The holes in the heads have become sloppy and almost countersunk. There are not too many threads for the stud to grab anymore so I am going to JB them in. Any warnings or words of advice against? By the way, Tyson, John, Bud and William (in that order), I regret to inform you that I am taking the Van off the market for know. My wife really doesn't want me to sell it (I was pleasantly surprised by this one) and I need it to use to finish a project on my house. I am sorry. If in the future we decide to sell I will contact you first. Thank you for all of your time and concern.

Richard and Annemarie 85 GL "Buba"