Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 May 2002 08:41:40 -0700
From:         Edward Nutter <eanutter@POSTOFFICE.PACBELL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Safety of the Vanagon
Comments: To: Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>

When I bought my first Vanagon new in 1985, one of the things that sold me was the really fast double lane change that I put the van, the salesman, and my wife through during a test drive. All new running gear helped of course, but that big tall box went through with very little lean or complaint from the tires. There was no tail wagging or understeer either. Just a perfect track exactly where I wanted it to be. It was definitely a machine that I felt good about having my wife and four kids mosey around in.

Related story: Several months ago I was heading north on the Ensenada toll road on the way back from delivering an amazing quantity of donated goods to a children's home in Mexico. My wife and her sister were on board. Running low on gas, I was on the lookout for a Pemex to get me over the border. Hey, there's one! And there's the exit coming up fast and close! Gee that's tight. I'd better slow waaay down. I pointed the nose at the exit and hit the brakes. That's when the master cylinder decided to 80% quit. Trying to get back on the road would have put me edge on into a concrete wall at about 50mph, just a bit more than even a Vanagon could handle. So I stayed in the turn as best I could, waiting for the scraping impact with the side barrier, the aforementioned concrete wall. I can still hear the sound of sand gritting under the tires. Next thing I know I'm through the 270 turn pointing at the alto sign about 200 feet away. Most of the speed had been scrubbed off in the turn so what was left of the brakes got me stopped. I was again impressed with the cornering ability of the Vanagon. The Pemex station was incomplete, not open yet. I was not pleased about that.

The brakes worked as long as I didn't press too hard. It was Saturday night with no propects of getting parts for a couple of days. We made it the 50 miles back home keeping a 30 second safety cushion as opposed to the recommended 3 except while crawling through the border. It was pre-9/11 so the wait wasn't too long. Next day I replaced the master cylindar.