Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 May 2002 17:47:06 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Which Optima for starting battery?
Comments: To: dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET

I'm asking this as a serious question. What am I missing here? My first Westy battery I bought in 1995 lasted 7 years and 145,000 miles in my Westy, it was a Die Hard, about $54.00 back in 85. My current battery is a Champion battery that I got at Sams Club for $42.00 and even after running my 12v TV, interior lights and radio all day and till midnight I've never had a battery failure while I've been camping or any other time. I'm a little confused since the VWs are all 4 cylinder and low compression. Why would you need any type of special battery? If you're in Alaska or some perpetually freezing place I could see more investment for winter month security but unless there is, like I said, something I'm missing; I'd say you're just wasting your money. For you guys that already have Optima batteries ............. good for you.

Stan Wilder 83 Westfalia Air Cooled

On Tue, 21 May 2002 18:04:39 -0400 Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET> writes: > For engine starting, I think the Optima is a higher price-lower > performing alternative to the proper group 41 battery. Being deep > cycle > does not eliminate the advantage of a second battery as you can > still > discharge it and find your self stranded. The major advantage of > two > battery systems is the availability of a fully charged starting > battery > after using the lights and radio long enough to run down the 2nd > battery. > > Dennis > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] On > Behalf > Of Joe Curro > Sent: Sunday, May 19, 2002 1:50 PM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Which Optima for starting battery? > > I desparately need a starting battery for my 87 Westy. I am > considering > an Optima, but I don't know which one is appropriate. It appears > that > the "Yellow Top", which is listed on Desert Rat as "Deep cycle, > Automotive" would be the right choice. Does anyone have any > experience > using this battery as a starting battery? I like the fact that it > is > also > deep cycle, as I do not have a second battery in my Vanagon. > > Thanks. > > Joe >