Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 May 2002 08:16:34 -0400
From:         John Brush <jbrush@AROS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Just cause

>anyway. Either way is OK with me. I just won't roll over on the >constitution. If he's going to search anyway, make him do it without a >clear conscience.

Wow, its friday again! Time marches on.

We all 'roll over on the constitution' every time we are stopped by the police. In most cases, the officer has no reason to think you do not have a license, yet when he asks for it, we cough it up. The officer stopping us for making a wrong turn would have no reason to think we are driving a stolen van, yet when he asks for the registration, we willingly hand it over. He has no cause to ask for those things, yet he gets them each time. Even those who live in certain states need to prove they have insurance, yet the stop has nothing to do with insurance, so how come when he asks for the little card, why do we give it to him? Anyone who says 'because its the law' has not been following this thread.

When the police to come to your home for whatever reason, are you required to show title of the house to the officer? Do you have to prove that you have homeowners insurance? What's the difference?

None of this is about the 4th amendment, its about how far up our butts we have been willing to let the law go. Over time, it goes further and further. One day, a car search will be as mandatory as showing him your insurance card. It happens slowly, so it doesn't seem to hurt as much.

Next time you are stopped, and the man asks to search your car, you will tell him no, because he has no reason to suspect anything, but go ahead and tell him no when he asks for your registration, since he has no reason to suspect its not your car, and see what happens.

Hey, its Friday, I can think 'outside of the box' if I want to. <g>

Regards,

John