Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 May 2002 23:21:13 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      More Rim - Less Tire

Recently I was over to my local tire shop and Michelin dealer to have my tires rotated, balanced and front end aligned. My M Michelin MXT 205-75 R14's are getting worn and knowing I can't get the Ultimate Michelin for the old Red Brick next time, I needed to start considering what to replace them with. Right off the bat the dealer suggested I look into going up to a slghtly bigger rim. That would give me more options. Of course that led to a discussions of rims.

The tire dealer said that the newer cars and trucks on the road now, and new ones still coming out in the future are going to have big (tall) rims, and the rubber on the road will be a very thin profile. He said that John Q. Public really thinks these rims and tires are very cool...............until they come in the first time to buy new tires. They are stunned, angry, and generally pissed of when they learn that their replacement sporty-looking low-profile tire is going to cost them $200/each. Apparently this word never gets past the salesman that sold them the car with the sporty tall rims and low profile tires.

You might want to utter a small prayer of thanks for being able to drive you vanagon with its fatter tires and smaller rims.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver in Birmingham, AL