Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 May 2002 02:05:32 -0700
From:         luke sponsler <spons23@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      coolant leak from passenger side rear head

Hey Volks,

Last weekend while in the Sierras' I think I was getting some type of oil pressure loss as the oil light and buzzer where intermittently going off. This occurred mainly going uphill, in the heat, and/or at higher altitudes. (I live at sea level so everything is higher for me.) As soon as the buzzer sounded I would immediately pull off and turn my car off. I would let it sit for less than 3 minutes then turn it back on, and I seemed to regain oil pressure since the light and buzzer would not sound when the car was turned back on. This occurred about 5 times on my way home all the while my temp gauge rested in the middle.

I haven't had much free time during the work week the last few days and am planning on going to Sequoia National Forest for the long weekend, so I decided to take the van to my local v-dub guy to flush the radiator. and see if he could diagnosis the oil buzzer problem. While attempting to flush my radiator my mechanic said my coolant system was not properly pressurized, and he spotted a leak from the passenger side rear head to the hose that is connected to the coolant manifold (chart at http://www.vanagain.com/21lchc.htm *)

Does this sound like a relative easy fix? Do y'all think it could be the O-ring that fits between the plate and the head? Could it be worse? Is it necessary to remove the power steering components to do this job? Anybody know how long a job like this takes? Would a leak in the coolant flow cause my oil buzzer to ring?

So my order of operations to remedy the issue is: 1.coolant leak from rear head (hopefully just replace the O-ring) 2.remove rear heater core and remove or block the T connector 3.flush radiator 4.change oil filter and upgrade to 15-50w oil.

So I was wondering what advice people have for me. Any and all is appreciated. Do you think I could replace that O-ring in less than five hours? Would this be a good learning experience or a major headache. In any event I will most likely have my mechanic do the flush and I will do the oil change. If you have made it this far in the email, many thanks. By the way I was quoted between $150-200 to do items 1-3 up above.

good wishes for a great 3 day weekend, luke 88-westy-zOrBus