Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 May 2002 16:47:56 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Yum, yum...(what a motor says when eating a rod)
Comments: To: huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA

The way you guys are killing off those Waser Boxers it won't be long till us Air Cooled owners storm the server and take over the Vanagon list. Back in 02 or there abouts I broke the ring lands on #3 piston on my Air Cooled fighting the devil of a headwind while a big Dodge pickup tailgated me at 80 mph. I painted the Dodge with 20/50 wt. engine oil but managed to get the engine turned off before the oil light came on. The *believe it or not* is that I put a quart of oil in every 35 miles and drove the Westy 250 miles home. After a total top end repair I ran that engine another 78K before I rebuilt it properly. When seconds count on massive oil loss the back window will collect enough engine oil to give you the trouble signal long before the oil light comes on. Most Waser Boxer I see in my junkyard runs have a rod sticking out the right side of the crankcase, easy to tell the cause of death.

Stan Wilder 83 Air Cooled Westfalia

On Thu, 23 May 2002 15:48:12 -0400 Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA> writes: > When you feel better (i hope you will feel better, sincerely) can you > feed > us with some info as how was the engine condition before the fatal > moment. > > -Did you have any oil light/buzzer problem? > -Any strange noise? (pinging, clicking, clapping, knocking or > whatever) > -Oil consumption, lets say how much per 3000miles > -Van mileage. > > Good luck Brian. >