Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 May 2002 17:54:56 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Someone must know what tire pressure do use in Agilis 51 tire
              s!
Comments: To: jhlauterbach@EMAIL.MSN.COM

Strange that you should ask that question. The Agilis 51/61s are truck tires. Most people riding around on truck tires are being paid to be driving those trucks; they are grateful to have their jobs so they don't complain about the noise. If I were a truck driver and complained to my boss that the truck tires were noisy, he'd split a rib rolling around on the floor LHAO. I don't expect everybody to agree with me but the Agilis tires are *hard rubber* and have *stiff sidewalls* the reason is ......... they are truck tires. I like my Agilis 61s in the 185R14s, the noise from them is overwhelmed in winter months by the wind noise from my door seals. It is overwhelmed in Summer months by the blasting from my radio. I like the way they keep the van running straight down the road while I go to the back to pour a cup of coffee.

Stan Wilder

On Thu, 23 May 2002 18:33:33 -0400 John Lauterbach <jhlauterbach@EMAIL.MSN.COM> writes: > I am having same noise problem with my Agilis 61s. I have had them > for > about 10K miles. In March I had them rotated and had full wheel > alignment/balance, etc., and now they are quite noisy although I > have found > that running them at 50 psig f&r has quieted things down. > > Why are these tires so noisy compared with Michelin 6PR 185R14s that > came > with the early Vanagons? > > John Lauterbach > Macon, GA > '84 7-passenger > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Sean Garrett" <SEAN.GARRETT@ASU.EDU> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2002 12:00 PM > Subject: Re: Someone must know what tire pressure do use in Agilis > 51 tire > s! > > > I kind of agree and disagree with you too. Yes, load has a lot to do > with > it, but, I could not get my new Agilis tires to stop making so much > noise on > the road (highway). When I adjusted the pressure down a little to > manufacture specs then my noise disappeared and handling/ride was > much > better. I am not going to argue with what works !!! > > To each his own. > > Sean Garrett > 1981 Westy (his) > 1995 Eurovan Camper (hers) > sean.garrett@asu.edu > > > > > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: CTONLINE@webtv.net [mailto:CTONLINE@webtv.net] > > Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2002 8:16 AM > > To: SEAN.GARRETT@asu.edu > > Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Subject: Re: Someone must know what tire pressure do use in Agilis > 51 > > tire s! > > > > > > Sean, > > > > I kinda disagree with the response you gave--- > > > > If your running the van heavy, and the max load rating is at > > at specific > > pressure you best be running with what the tire mfg. > recommends---not > > the vehicles mother---- > > > > Different tires, different pressures, different load ratings--- > > > > VW has no idea what kind of hoop you have on that Van----the > > recommended > > tire pressure stated on that tag is for the tires VW hung on that > Van > > when new---not what you went out an bought for replacements----- > > > > I have a hard time swallowing that Michelin told you not to run > Max > > pressure as they recommended on the sidewall-- > > > > Why in the heck would the even bother to print it on the > > sidewall then? > > > > Later, > > > > Terry > > > > > > E-mail message > > > > I called Michelin and they said to run whatever the > > manufacturer of the > > vehicle recommends. NOT what is printed on the sidewall of the > tire. > > They said that is the MAX pressure not the recommended pressure to > run > > the tire on. > > Sean Garrett > > 1981 Westy (his) > > 1995 Eurovan Camper (hers) > > sean.garrett@asu.edu > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Terry K. [mailto:CTONLINE@WEBTV.NET] > > Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2002 5:43 AM > > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > > Subject: Re: Someone must know what tire pressure do use in Agilis > 51 > > tires! > > Follow the correct pressure recommendation printed on the > > sidewall----- > > Well--not really, because the Yokohama 356 D's I have ask for > > 65 psi for > > max load of 1850 lbs---but there is no way I'm going to run them > tires > > that hard-----nor according to Discount Tire is it necessary, > > unless I'm > > running the Van at the maximum load----- > > So I'm running 40 psi all the way around. > > Common sense, as well as how the Vehicle handles should be a good > > indicator-- > > But read the sidewall--it'll tell you all you ever wanted to > > know--this > > is more than likely why no one responded--- > > Later, > > Terry > > E-mail message > > Subject: Someone must know what tire pressure do use in > > Agilis 51 > > tires! > > This is a repost because I harbly got any replies. I want to > > make sure I > > am running the correct tire pressure in my 215/65- 15 Agilis > > 51 tires on > > my westy. What are you Volks running? Anyone know the Eurovan > > or SA Bus > > pressures for comparison? > > Thanks, > > Chris > > >