Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 May 2002 19:29:47 -0400
From:         Christopher Berchin <ctb1@PEOPLEPC.COM>
Subject:      Someone must know what tire pressure do use in Agilis 51 tires!

Some things to remember:

1) Tire pressures chosen by OEM's are chosen to be what they felt was the best compromise for crisp handling, safety, and a quality ride. 2) Max pressure listed on the tire is the pressure at which you will realize the full load capacity (also listed), and also the upper limit to run safely and not adversely affect the tire. 3) Higher pressures increase the cornering stiffness/lateral stiffness of a given tire, which should help in crosswind stability.

So, with that in mind: VW recommended pressures for my van (1984 GL) of 39 front and 48 rear for a 185/14 tire. I now have 205/65-15 Agilis 51's on the van, and I started at the recommended pressures. My ride quality was excellent (as compared to the previous not-so-hot tires), as was the handling and stability in winds. However, after about 1000 miles, I believe I'm starting to see the rears wearing more in the middle. Note that my GL is gutted - no seats in the back, no center bench, just the two front ones, so I'm pretty light in the back. Just tonight I checked the tires, and I am dropping a few psi to see how it goes. The key factor will be crosswinds.

Remember, pressures aren't cast in stone. As long as you aren't running way too low and ending up causing massive heat buildup in the tire which will cause it to fail, you should be ok. (Running too low is worse than running too high.) Pick them as you want for whatever ride and crosswind stability you want. If you are always running the van at GVW, then I would stick with the higher end of the tire's limit, if not at the tire's max pressure. If you are running light and don't notice wagging in winds or poor handling, you can run them a bit lower.

When I bought my van, the PO had the tires at 28 psi (car tires). It was nearly undrivable. Once I cranked them up to the tire's max (44 psi), the van worked much better. Experiment and keep an eye on your wear - keep it in the safe range (my personal opinion is that range begins at 30 psi for a vehicle like ours) and you should be ok.

Chris