Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 May 2002 21:01:22 -0400
From:         "Karl F. Bloss" <bloss@CITYNET.NET>
Subject:      FS: 2.1 WBX for core or rebuild.

I replaced my '87 Vanagon's 2.1L WBX engine with a rebuilt from Boston Engine (shameless plug: it's running great!), so I have the old engine that someone might want to rebuild.

It was pulled in running condition (no thrown rod or other engine damage) at 208K miles. I am the van's third owner, so I don't know if it was rebuilt before. Heads were replaced by the PO, but the gaskets were leaking in the spring when the engine was pulled. Oil pressure was at least 10 psi per 1000 RPM with 20W50 (I had a gauge on it).

Compression on #3 was about 20-30 psi lower than the other cylinders. Fuel, electronics, and intake systems were reinstalled in my van, so they're not included. The exhaust had crumbled, so there was no point in saving anything.

So with all that, I figure it's a good starting point for a rebuild, but I no longer have time to do it. If you're REALLY hard up for cash, I suppose you could get some more miles out of it installed as is. At the very least, you could give it to a rebuilder and get core charge out of it.

$600 as is and where is (Hurricane, WV...between Charleston and Huntington). I'd prefer not to ship it, but I can bring it to some VW events. We're going to High Country Bus Festival in NC in July.

-Karl