Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 May 2002 21:54:20 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Hung in the middle - Bumper drawings
Comments: To: cikasper@mail.cruzio.com

Go to any local electrical contractor or commercial fire sprinkler equipment installer. They can cut your pipe, make your bends and Schedule 40 pipe is the same whether it is used in fire sprinkler systems, electrical conduits, fence posts, water pipes; its all exactly the same material, same ASME specs. The flat bar stock is also generic and can be bought from just about any steel yard or even metal recycling scrap yard can supply both round pipe and flat bar. Electrical contractors use a Greenlee hydraulic bender that is less than 100 pounds to bend pipe up to 4" inside diameter ....... just not high tech. I know you guys are wondering if I'm crazy. If you'll seriously scout out the supplies you'll find that I'm not more than a few dollars off on materials price based on $30.00 for that front bumper. If you're calling their pipe Chrome Molly ##### then you are talking about a different animal all together but you can bet you old bumper bolts its just generic pipe. Get the shipping weight on it and compare that to the materials that you can see in the drawings and you'll know more. I'd seriously consider building some of those bumpers but I've sold off most of my metal working equipment after I got tired of storing it in building that had good potential rental on it. (Sold my stuff and rented the space out for $1500.00 a month, that was expensive storage for eight years.) You guys fight it out ....... even if I were a $100.00 off on the materials you'd still get your package installed for less than $299.00 each bumper. If you got to a metal recycling scrap yard don't wear a Santa Clause suit ....... wear jeans and a T shirt.

stan

On Thu, 23 May 2002 19:17:18 -0700 il cikaspers <cikasper@mail.cruzio.com> writes: > maybe in texas, but in santa cruz the pipe they're using for the > front and > rears costs about $400 for all of it. unless i've been looking at > something like stainless, which is more like $1600 for all of it. > the > welding and bending can certainly come to $200, and powdercoating > another > $200. that's damn close to $850. > > yes, i know peter, yes i like volkscafe. unless he has lied to me > (i > highly doubt that) they're really not making much on the things. > now, the > guy that sells them to vc might be ripping them off, i don't know. > i seem > to remember at least one other listee who looked into having these > style > bumpers made up, and he was in the $600 range for the pair, > mounted. > > and stan, if you can get me pipe to that schedule, 4 8' pieces and > one 4' > piece, i'll send you $150 for shipping, and my address... > > bill > > >Sorry guys I can't find the drawing for the rear bumpers Mick > Kabler has > >them for sure ...... I'll explore. > >I'll post them to my website so everybody can get them. > >I didn't mean to rant about the price these guys were charging for > their > >bumpers but there is only about $30.00 in materials (other than > the > >powder coat) just a few minor bends and really just dirt simple > >construction, the pipe ends have freeze plugs welded on them for > caps. > >Try to remember this term "Obscene Profit" I may use it again if I > get to > >raving. > > > > > >Stan Wilder > > > >________________________________________________________________ > >GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! > >Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! > >Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: > >http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/. > >