Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 May 2002 22:38:19 -0700
From:         Ward Smith <wsmith@SAN.RR.COM>
Subject:      1981 Vanagon Automatic pop-top Westy for sale.

Hey all,

I have a Westy for sale in the San Diego area if anyone is interested. It is an '81 Air-Cooled, Auto, Full Westy interior with Pop Top and swivel front seats. Outside is Baby Blue, and inside is tan/w coloured fabric. It all looks stock, but I haven't seen many early Vanagon Westy's, so I'm not sure about the interior. It has the complete fridge/stove/tables/cabinets interior, and everything seems to work properly. There doesn't seem to be any propane in the tank, so I'm not sure about the stove, etc., but it all is complete (missing drawer, but I'm looking for one in the local yards). Nose is perfect; never hit; and the body rust is almost non-existent. (yeah!).

Motor runs great, looks pretty good, and pushes the bus along nicely. I have never driven an automatic Westy, but it seems to run as it should. Shifts fine, and doesn't jump or slip changing gears. Van has an aftermarket oil temp guage, and a nice pioneer tape deck with newer door speakers. All doors lock and open with the ignition key.

The only "problems" with the bus are: Hit in the rear driver's corner. Doesn't look too bad, should pull right out. The taillight isn't even cracked. Hit lightly in the slider and right behind it. Motor drips oil when shut off. Doesn't drip when running, looks like valve cover or such. It's only on the driver's side, and only after shutting the motor off.

I have lien sale paperwork, which means the new owner will have to smog it before they get a title. If someone wants me to, I will run it through smog and put it in their name (with a deposit). It seems to run perfectly, so I expect it to pass smog easily. I buy and restore older "splitty's", but I don't deal with the Vanagons much, but this is a pretty nice one. I am just trying to raise some cash to finish my 83.5 Westy(needs new motor).

P-Mail me if you are interested. I can shoot pics tomorrow and e-mail them back to you.

Thanks,

Ward

I am looking to get $2800 for the bus in the condition it is in. If I have to smog it, I would probably sell it for around $3500. I have fixed all the little things that the P/O neglected (lights, turn signals, replaced fuses, fixed slider, rekeyed locks, etc.), and it seems like he lost it for driving w/o a license. I would love to keep it, but I have 2 others, need to tow jet skiis with my VW, and the Auto/air cooled just probably won't cut it.