Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 May 2002 09:59:42 -0400
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Removing Cylinders from head idea!

I was removing a pair of heads from a syncro Vanagon yesterday in preparation of installing new heads and gaskets. The cylinders were stuck on tight and a thought occured to me that I have never heard anyone discuss before on the list. You know the little metal ears on the cylinder barrels. I normally would stick something between these and the head and bang and pry until the heads came off. Never hurt anything this way, however it took a while and alot of prying to get the heads off. Yesterday I got another idea. Instead of trying to break the cylinders loose by prying them away from the heads. Here was my idea: why not use a screw driver, put it up against one of these tabs and hit the screwdriver head with a hammer. Do this on an angle so that what you are actually trying to do is to turn the cylinder just a little. I did this and within a hit or two the cylinder barrel turned just a few degrees. Then I went to the tab on the opposite side of the barrel and tapped a few times until the barrel turned back. Then I did this on the other cylinder. Now that these were broken loose it was very easy to put a screwdriver between the two tabs in the center of the head and give it a very minor pry and the head came right off! I tried it on the other side and it worked great! Anyone see any problems in doing it this way? Since you are hitting the tabs are you not damaging the cylinders and you really don't have to hit them very hard to get the cylinders to turn. You only have to pull the cylinders out 1/2" so that you can get the end of your flat head screwdriver in there to do this proceedure. Normally taking off heads that are really stuck on could take 30 mins and alot of hitting. This was like 5 mins for both sides. I am happy. I hope this could help other folks.

Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com Phone: (856)-327-4936 Fax: (856)-327-2242