Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 May 2002 13:35:16 -0500
From:         Steve Sandlin <vwcarlocks@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Info on Westy water tank keys

With camping season upon us, Ive been getting quite a few questions on water tank keys, so I thought I'd post to the list. There are 2 different types of fillers, taking totally different keys. The later filler, which is all that is available as a replacement, uses a locking cover, and is hinged at the bottom. It takes a small plastic key that is available from either Delta 6 or I have in stock. It is a universal key that fits all the tanks.

If you have the earlier tank filler, you'll find it hinged at the top and using a locking cap. There is no universal key for this cap. there are approx. a hundred different key possibilities (that I've found, anyway) for this cap. There are no code numbers on the lock. the only way to make a key for the lock is to have the lock in hand. To remove the locking cap, you need to remove the filler from the body of the van with the 4 screws on the exterior. Lifting the filler off the body will expose the fill hose. It may be removed from the inlet by loosening the hose clamp and sliding the hose off. The rear of the cap is now exposed. There is a 10 mm nut on the rear of the lock. Once that nut is removed, the locking cam can be removed and the lock will fall off the front. At this point the key may be made by either myself or any competent locksmith having the proper key.

I hope this has clarified the procedure for anyone interested.

Steve Sandlin Steve's Lock Shoppe Huntsville, TX '84 Wolfsburg Westy '79 Kombi "00 New Beetle