Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 May 2002 15:32:47 -0400
From:         "G. Matthew Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: It still stalls!

Chris writes: "...here are my questions.

-Would a exhaust leak cause this.

(bulley says) Nope.

-Would having no o2 sensors do this. (I used a bypass pipe instead of a catalic converter $$$)

(bulley says) Strong possibility. Bad choice of things to eliminate. The 02 sensor is one of the two primary sensing components of the fuel injection system. Without it, the computer has very little data to interpret injection, and reverts to its "limp home" emergency programming, which is where you are.

Eliminating your catalytic converter is more an ethical choice. If I were king, all the people who ditch their catalytic converters should be forced to live in Mexico City for a week. Once they've coughed up their lungs, and can appreciate the (relatively) clean air we have here thanks to little annoyances like catalytic converters, they could come back stateside. But I digress...

-I also have 2 hole infront of my airflow box (where f/i ppes are, behind the distributor) the holes are pluged with 2 bolts right now, but what are the holes for?

(bulley says) A piece of equipment that ought to be on the van. By your description, it is hard to tell where you are talking about, but it could be your cold-start valve.

I'd suggest you take this thing to a dealer or a reputable Vanagon mechanic and have all the bits put back right again, then you can go back to the DIY thing. Nothing like trying to fix a car that isn't all there. Hmmm.

Pax--

G. Matthew Bulley Mount Olive, NC