Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 May 2002 22:11:06 -0400
From:         Karen Gritis <gritis@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Turn key - nada

I'm having a troubling last couple of months with my vanagon. It's suddenly turned into a money pit, whereas before it was pretty trouble free, routine maintenance only. I put a new rebuilt engine in it about 2 months ago, since then, it's been one thing after another.

The latest - started it easily, drove approximately 5 miles, parked without incident, left it parked for about 15 minutes. When I came back out to start it, I got absolutely nothing. No noise, no cranking, nothing. Battery is new and strong, lights work and phone charger works. There is a clicking from the vicinity of the starter, but nothing else. I tried to jump it and still nothing. I was in a crowded parking lot with lots of kids around so didn't want to try to roll start it. Nothing obviously loose. What do you think? Starter? How can I check it to make sure? The shop where I take it is closed until Tuesday. I need to try to get it back on the road before then. There is a Bug Out near me in Manassas this weekend where I could pick up cheap parts, actually probably the only place open for me to get parts this weekend.

How big a deal is a starter replacement? I can handle a screwdriver, wrench, etc and once changed the exhaust system on my beetle, but it's been years and I'm not sure I can handle anything too complex or dirty.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Karen 91 Vanagon