Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 May 2002 18:44:05 +0000
From:         Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Aluminum in the threads

Even more interesting news.

You may recall that I had an episode of stalling, loss of power and bacfiring while on the highway yesterday. After checking the fuel filter and swapping to my spare ecu, I drove home OK.

This morning I decided to pull the plugs and see what they looked like before fiddling with the electronics. They were last pulled early last summer, ~ 7000 miles ago, so I figured it would give me a check on how the engine is running.

They are Bosch Super 80s.

They two on the (US) passenger side were hard to break loose, but once they started came out fine. Drivers side front was another story. I had to double-check to make sure that I hadn't switched the ratchet to tighten, and kept a short cheater on the ratchet to back it out.

Two or three of the threads near the tip of the spark plug are filled with shiny material, presumably aluminum. I took another sparkplug, cleaned the threads thoroughly, lubed them lightly, and carefully tried to start them in the hole.

No dice, and when I pulled it out, the end of the plug had specks of silver coating the oil.

Hmmm, says I. This is a one-year old Boston Bob re-build, so that cylinder shouldn't have a lot of problems.

I don't have a thread chaser, and am a little reluctant to go any farther without some advice.

Is this normal? If not, how serious is it? Should I have a talk with the mechanic and maybe Boston Bob before doing anything else?

Oh yes, plug condition. The two on the passenger side and the front left had a light coating of black ash on the ring. The tip and ground were grey/brown.

The one on the left rear was black on the ring, almost shiny. It was also the easiest to remove.

Gosh, this is fun!

:-(

Mike Finkbiner '87 Westy Moscow ID

mike_l_f@hotmail.com