Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 25 May 2002 18:52:25 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Aluminum in the threads
Comments: To: DBAKER5@KC.RR.COM

Air-cooled 22 ft-lb Water-cooled 15 ft-lb Mark ---------------- Now my part, I've just been bringing my plugs to a seat position with a 3/8" rachet handle for the last seven years. I very seldom fully crush the gasket fully. I did the reverse torque and they popped loose at 16 ft pounds on an ice cold engine. I've just gone for feel all along but I've been working on aluminum heads since 1956 with my first BSA motorcycle (about a 49 model). The attachment is from Tom Wilsons book about stripped threads.

Stan

On Sat, 25 May 2002 17:52:41 -0500 Dave Baker <DBAKER5@KC.RR.COM> writes: > Interesting. I can't find anything in the Bentley manual that > addresses > proper torque for spark plugs. What do you use? > > Dave in KC > 85 Westy > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Saturday, May 25, 2002 2:49 PM > Subject: Re: Aluminum in the threads > > I use on my own > > van an antiseize compound on the plug threads and use a torque > wrench to > seat > > the plugs just to avoid just such a situation. > > > > Good luck. > > > > John Rodgers > > 88 GL Driver >