Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 May 2002 13:50:18 -0700
From:         Matt Ratto <mratto@WEBER.UCSD.EDU>
Subject:      update on diesel-gas conversion

Well,

like everyone else I got distracted by life for a few weeks. I went down to the garage for the first time in a while today and tried to get some stuff done. The first order of business was to cut the hole to make the intake manifold fit. Unfortunately, my little dremel with cut-off wheels was taking way too long so I had to put that aside until I buy an angle grinder or something. Fine. On to getting the alternator installed and the belts put back on. I decided to use the mounting bracket from the diesel and the two belt arrangement I had on it. I would have used the existing arrangement on the gas motor, but the car I pulled it from had air conditioning and the belts didn't line up. I wish I had done this before installing the new motor but I was paying money on a hoist and in a hurry. No problem until I found that the head on one of the bolts on the vibration damper was totally stripped.

But this made me rethink my decision to go with the double belt arrangement. How do other people have the v-belt set up? Can I use just one belt? If I can then I don't need to switch the water pump pully and the vibration damper.

I next moved on to the fuel delivery system. I got a fuel pump from Stan a few weeks ago, complete with bracket. But then I couldn't remember where to put the filter. I was thinking it goes between the tank and the pump rather than after, in order to ensure that the pressure stays high. Can someone remind me? So I didn't want to cut fuel lines until I had that settled.

At this point I realized that I wasn't going to get anything done today. So, just to make a bad work day even worse, I started to try and figure out the electrics. What a nightmare. I have no idea how I'm going to make sense of that mess. Worse, I think I missed some control boxes from the donor Golf. I was thinking that the CIS didn't use any electronics, other than the ignition unit so I didn't grab anything from under the dash other than the relays and the harness. But looking at the Bentley I see that some sort of computer is connected to the oxygen sensor and some other things. Is that true? I still can't figure out what it actually does. Maybe its not to late to put all the wiring in a box and ship it off to David Marshall...

Anyway, as you might be able to tell, I'm at that part of a project where you think you'll never be done. All of my friends think I'm crazy.

Matt

----------------------------------- Matt Ratto Ph.D. Candidate Department of Communication University of California, San Diego La Jolla, CA 92093-0503 mratto@ucsd.edu -----------------------------------