Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 May 2002 23:33:48 -0700
From:         Katherine Lee <katydid@TELUS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Suggestions for shipping a van from Germany to Halifax NS

Not packing valuables in a van for shipping seems like common sense.

However, during the course of my research into having our van shipped this fall, a Vancouver-area shipper tells me that if we pack our belongings in unmarked boxes (no recycled liquor boxes, electronics boxes, etc.) and keep it all covered with tarps or blankets, it will be fine. She even suggested taking apart our bicycles and flat-packing them in bicycle-sized cartons to save space. Computer equipment was apparently fine as well (in unmarked containers). We were instructed to make sure there was enough room for someone to crawl in and out of the driver's side window (as the door would not have any clearance in the container), to keep the main battery compartment clear in order for them to disconnect the battery during marine transport and then reconnect upon arrival, and also to leave a bit of gas in the tank so the van could be driven on and off the container.

This shipper has 20 years of personal experience, dealing with all kinds of cargo, including vehicles and shipping to and from many destinations. As I was telling David Marshall, coincidentally, she has travelled in a Westy around South Africa.

Of course, the last thing I'd want is to give thieves a reason to break into my van. But perhaps certain shippers have different security measures ... ? Maybe it'd be a good idea to ask whoever is shipping your vehicle about insurance and how they will secure your vehicle before and after shipping. I've already found out that unless you have a "fixed address", it's next to impossible to insure one's belongings during one's travels outside North America ...

Katherine