Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 May 2002 23:40:48 -1000
From:         Mick Kalber <redhotlava@HAWAII.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: Re wiper blades

> I don't know who started this thread but I was stuck traveling between > Padre Island and Houston a couple of weeks ago and it rained 6 inches in > 24 hours. I've been rain so heavy here it washed down my alternator from > water coming through the vents and caused it to fail.

Now that's a lot of rain... but you wanna talk rain? Check this out... I live in Hilo, Hawaii, the rainiest city in the United States. We average 125-130 inches of rain a year... some years are much more... I can remember one year when we got 225 inches in my part of town... and it does vary depending on what part of Hilo you live in.

But a year and a half ago we had one day... yes, 24 hours... where we got 26 inches of rain. No, I'm not exaggerating... 26 inches in one day! And here's the real kicker... that's not even the record for the island! The record was set back in the 50's when the town of Volcano got... ready???... 38 inches of rain in 24 hours!!! That's over an inch and a half of rain every hour for twenty-four hours. Now THAT'S a lot of rain.

That said, Hilo is the best place for weather I've ever lived in my life. Yeah, we get our rain, but almost every day is sunny at some point... it doesn't just drizzle all the time like Seattle... and it's warm rain. And when it's over it's like it never happened... drains immediately almost. And, of course, everything is green as can be. But we always tell everybody they wouldn't like it here... rains all the time. It works... that's probably why we only have 40K folks here in Hilo and only about 150K on the whole island... and the island is the size of Connecticut... small state, but HUGE island!

Aloha,

Mick Kalber 89 Syncro Westy "Daddeo" Tropical Visions Video, Inc. 62 Halaulani Place Hilo, Hawaii 96720 808-935-5557 808-935-0066 (fax) redhotlava@hawaii.rr.com http://www.volcanoscapes.com/