Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 May 2002 12:28:50 -0400
From:         "G. Matthew Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Aluminum in the threads

I don't disagree with Bob and the others about pulling plugs on a hot motor, it can pull the threads. I will say however that I have never, ever had issues with my plugs on a half dozen type 4 motors I've owned in the past 20 years, even though I have often pulled them while very warm.

The trick: I never tighten them down too tight.

My grandfather was a machinist with Chrysler, and gave me a tiny little (3"?) socket wrench like the one he used for installing plugs. I'd guess if you REALLY tried, you could get 20lb/feet of torque with this thing. Typically though, it is just enough to crush the washer, and snug it up. Never enough to stress the threads, and cause them to release to from the head.

Pax--

G. Matthew Bulley Mount Olive, NC

>From prior experience ( Triumph BSA, Norton etc.) it is a good idea not to "crank" them plugs down way too tight----

The threads will pull out of the plug holes, or the damn things will run out with the plugs the next time you pull them out---

Anti seize is a must in any situation where steel meets aluminum---period--

Run the plugs down by hand, with the plug in a socket, put the rachet on the socket and you'll feel the plug make contact-- and just snug them----and stop---done.

This is the only way--- to assure them coming out without backing the threads out too----

It also doesn't make one tinker's damn if the plugs are black annodized or zinc chromated, or just bright zinc---they all are mild steel, and will all lock up in the hole if not properly istalled---

You have no idea of how many heli coils I have installed in the heads of old English bikes because some stroke decided to be Arnold Swartznager in the installation process--not necessary--

Later,

Terry--

http://community.webtv.net/CTONLINE/TerrysHighOnLife