Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 May 2002 14:28:30 -0400
From:         80 Westy Pokey <pokey@VANAGON.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Suggestions for shipping a van from Germany to Halifax NS
Comments: To: Robert Steven Fish <fish@SALZBURG.CO.AT>

But where do you stop? Everythingh is removable if you have

enough time. Do you pull the stereo? Those fancy Volks Cafe

bumpers? Front seats are easily removed in a westy...

Thanks, Chris

---- Original message ---- >Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 19:50:32 +0200 >From: Robert Steven Fish <fish@SALZBURG.CO.AT>

>Subject: Re: Suggestions for shipping a van from Germany to

Halifax NS

>To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > >snipped ----- >a Vancouver-area shipper tells me that if we pack our

belongings in unmarked >boxes (no recycled liquor boxes, electronics boxes, etc.)

and keep it all >covered with tarps or blankets, it will be fine... >end snipped ----- > >There are apparently two DIFFERENT ways to get a vehicle

across the >Atlantic... One being the Ro/Ro method (Roll On / Roll Off)

which is what I >did, and which is generally very cheap, quick, and easy. > >The other method would be getting your goods moved by

packing them in a >container, which could be the size of a small 18-wheeler

trailer, or >something. This container has a lock on it... a big one....

like 2 inch >thick steel bar, etc. The container carrier will guarantee

that your goods >arrive safely (other than damage by shifting, which is not

to be taken >lightly... on high seas, there are weather conditions which

make the cars, >trucks, and containers all jump around, and often if poorly

secured, things >get completely trashed)... > >Anyway, if all is safely inside a locked container you will

receive at least >the shaken up goods, and if not (for example the container

falls off the >ship) you will receive insurance reimbursment. > >The catch is that to have your own container is already out

of the price >range for what I was referring to... the container would

most likely cost >between 5-10 grand, and all contants are weighed to get the

final price. > >I had all my "goods" shipped by NorthAmerican, and they took

care of placing >everything in a "shared container" for me, and delivered it

to my door in >Salzburg Austria... cost around 10 grand, including

insurance etc. > >The Vanagon went Ro/Ro and cost under 800 bucks if I

remember correctly. > >If you do Ro/Ro and you pack anything in the car, it will be

gone when you >pick it up... that's just the way it is. On a ship where

there are like >2000 cars, and months of boring sea time, and bored crew

members, who may or >may not be well paid, and may or may not be honest.... the

probability of >you ever seeing something like a nice bike, or any other

toy, is pretty much >0%. > >It is possible that other list members have a different

opinion... if so I >would be glad to hear any additional and/or contarary

information. > >Good Luck!! > >RSF > ><º)))>{ <º)))>{ <º)))>{ <º)))>{ <º)))>{ <º)))>{ > >Robert S. Fish >Salzburg, Austria >1987 Wolfsburg Vanagon 2.1 GL Weekender >1987 Golf Cabriolet >1991 Golf