Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 May 2002 16:07:10 -0400
From:         Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: Best van ever designed (was: Why do we love that damn van so
              much...)

Lets compare apple with apple (and even!) My friend dad as a Dodge Roadtrek 17 feets conversion camper. It's in front of me right now!

So here is the good side and bad side.

Good side (Mostly engine related) -Very good engine but not so fuel-efficient. -Very smooth running and plenty of power. -The very little toilet is welcome -I like the 3 big windows on the front upper deck -Very reliable 3-way fridge -Plenty of storage space, too much.

Bad side -I don't like the big seat in the entrance (can be remove but it took us 20 minutes) -I don't like the SINGLE bed configuration (Table and bed) -I feel like I am gone a suffocate in the van, the small maim passage is quite small -To much storage area for nothing -When I drive the westy in town it feels like am in a car (parking wise), not the roadtreck, the side visibility is poor, especially the dead angle. -The price compare to a Eurovan is about the same, good or bad I don't know. -The shower is a joke, spilling water everywhere on the floor!!!! -The interior color and fabric are a 25 year old design and choice, very poor. (I saw the brochure) -I don't like the side door configuration (spitting), but that is personal.

Nothing beats the westy interior design, what they did with the inside of the van is simply amazing. Mostly because of the pop-top configuration and a good fuel-efficiency (I do almost 24mpg on freeway / 530km (329miles)per tank). It's a poor/not so poor(money wise) camper vehicle (a bit expensive to maintain) You can sleep 4!!! Period. When the 2 front seats are "Swivel" (turn 180deg, not the driver side of course) it fell like a nice "living room". When both table are open it feels like a complete "Chef" kitchen. At night, a person or 2 can sleep up there while you (and others) read a good book below.

That why I love this van: somewhat cheap, great feeling of freedom but at the same time I feel very secure (weather wise and crash wise). Pleasant to drive even with the lack of power. Ergonomic. Comfortable. Practical. And last, it's a damn crowd pleaser, so you make many new friends that have the same goal in life = travel, nature, camping and freedom.

So I think I did answer my original post after a very nice weekend in the woods, where I belong!

Cheers, Ben http://pages.infinit.net/eurokit/