Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 May 2002 20:59:38 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Best van ever designed (PICS 1)

Images sent in 2 batches, as several servers refuse to accept more than about 3 images at a time, as I've found before... they reject my images and send them back to me, the bastards, wasting my money loading them back onto my computer!

>Pic please. > >Toyota had (here in the US) a Vanagon-esque thing they sold as a >"Toyota Van", clever moniker. It was great. I was limousine driver for a >Hilton Hotel while in College, and this type of van was our shuttle to >carry folks to the airport/back. Very handy. > >Pax-- > >G. Matthew Bulley >Mount Olive, NC

The van marketed in USA was the small one, the Liteace (also sold as Townace and until a few years ago Masterace, depending on trim levels. Available as RWD, part-time 4WD, carb or EFI gas, diesel, turbodiesel, basic or luxury, one wheelbase only; also cab/chassis version). The Hiace is much bigger, about Vanagon-sized, though the early version (1960s) was barely larger than the Liteace; it grew over 4 generations).

>Thanks for the generous offer, but why torment us Yanks with something we >could never have . . . legally. Your description of the Hiace, yesterday, >piqued my curiosity. A search return much information about the Hiace from >Nepal and other exotic locales. It might as well have come from the moon. I >have to agree with you assessment, it appears to be one hell of a car. > >Given that my fellow Americans, taken as a lot, are a bunch of insipid >lemmings, there is no possibility that a hightop, 4WD Hiace will ever make it >to the showroom floor in the Good Ol' USA. Pity, that. > >Rich

I'm a nasty teasing tormentor, so here the images are; all I have are the basic MWB 2WD version (most are white) and a full-time 4WD SWB 3.0 EFI turbodiesel Super Custom (interior shots are of the latter).

>sure just for fun drop me an image, regrettably the cooler vehicles >never seem to make it to the U.S. perhaps..overregulation??

I think it's the manufacturer making the decisions. Why didn't Toyota market it there? I dunno; it's not because they don't make an LHD version, because it's sold in LHD China. Marketers. Shoot 'em.

>I would like to see some picts. your always mentioning the Hiace but I have >no clue what your talking about

OK, here you go...