Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 May 2002 07:57:25 -0400
From:         Vanagon man <vgonman@MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Aircooled upgrade
Comments: To: Chuck Hill <hilltech@NETINS.NET>

I just got back from a 1200 mile round trip in my 81 aircooled westy. Outside temps were 85 plus degrees, and I traveled during daylight hours.

Now I consider myself an aircooled guy, but I also have an 88 weekender that is water cooled. So I feel I can compare and contrast.

I really love the air-cooled van, but you cannot be in a hurry with it. I have CHT gauge, oil pressure and oil temp gauges in the car............Boston Bob engine. Runs great. When it gets really hot out 90+, 60mph will give me a oil temp of about 110C and CHT of around 350F. If I were to want to go 70+mph, My oil temps soar to 120C..kinda hot. So, I take my time and drive by the gauges. Fairly simple motor/AFC injection easy to troubleshoot...much easier than Digifant system to work on.

Now when it comes to my 88, I can go 70-75 mph all day long and not have to worry about overheating. The downside is, that when there is a problem it is harder to diagnose and fix, especially with the injection. i have replaced most of my hoses and other cooling system components, so that is not an issue on my van.....I constantly inspect and fix stuff before it breaks..........

Adam P

81 Vanagon Westy (The Brick) 70 Single Cab "Whitey" 74 Beetle "Ol Yeller" 73 Transporter (STILL at paint shop) 1988 Vanagon Wolfsburg Used Vanagon Parts for sale (mostly aircooled) ----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck Hill" <hilltech@NETINS.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 7:40 AM Subject: Aircooled upgrade