Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 May 2002 16:52:42 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Which Optima for starting battery?
Comments: To: Doug@beacontel.tv

Hi Stan - I didn't notice any replies to your post... ----------------- They've found out how cantankerous I am about _________ up a Westy. ----------------- I agree with everything you say! Very strange for me to ever admit. I've resurrected about five Westies and wrecked out about the same number of Vanagons for parts and in every situation involving double batteries, added solenoids for the starter I've found burnt wiring, fried alternators, bad ignition switches and just in general a potential meltdown situation. I've also found heavy duty truck batteries under the rear seats with huge welding cables attached to solenoids under the van along with two or three real ugly holes in the dash for additional switches. All in all------- if it ain't broke don't fix it. I'm not smarter than any German engineer and I just can't fake it. Double batteries are great! If they are in there and working properly. Optima are Great! if you need one.

Stan Wilder

On Wed, 22 May 2002 17:32:27 -0400 "Fitz-Randolph, Douglas" <Doug@beacontel.tv> writes: > Hi Stan - I didn't notice any replies to your post... > > I don't, in fact, have an Optima battery, or a second battery at all > for > that matter, but I've considered adding one from time to time and > have done > a little research on the subject - I think people like the Optima's > for two > reasons... > > 1) Your regular starting battery is not typically a "deep cycle" > battery - > it's a "cranking" battery - meaning it is designed to provide a lot > of > amperage in a little time. A cranking battery is less good at > providing a > little amperage for a long time, and, in fact, will not last very > long if > repeatedly discharged below 50% capacity. In contrast, a deep cycle > battery > won't be damaged by repeated heavy discharging, but it also can't > provide as > much amperage for starting. This isn't a problem most of the time, > but when > your battery is already a little drained, or it is very cold out, it > might > be. Of course, you don't need to buy an Optima for this reason - > there are > tons of deep cycle batteries at Wal-Mart for $50-75 or so. > However... > > 2) In order to fit a Wal-Mart deep cycle battery into your battery > box, you > will have to buy a pretty small one - this is because of clearance > issues > with the battery box lid. The thing about the Optima is that it has > the > distinction of being about the only battery around that can be > mounted on > it's side - so in the van, the terminals would not be on top, they > would > protrude forward into the underseat storage area. This enables you > to use a > larger deep cycle battery than would normally be possible if you had > to > mount it vertically... and a larger battery of any type will be > capable of > providing more amp-hours than a smaller one of the same type. Add to > that > the fact that the Optima is already a super-efficient battery, and > you've > got a serious increase in amp-hours by using an Optima. > > That said - is it worth that much $? Probably not to me. Or you. With > my > single Die-Hard battery like yours, I've never run out of juice > camping. It > does just fine powering my stereo and 140 watt amp for a > double-feature at > the drive-in too - so what more do I need? If I were to add a cabin > heater > i.e. Carver/Propex or Suburban, I'd likely want to install a second > battery, > but for now sleeping bags and my little Coleman Dura-Cat to take the > chill > off in the AM work just fine. > > Also - if I was someone who was THAT concerned about having > megawatts of > power available without a recharge, I'd put a bank of serious motor > home > type batteries under the rear seat. And maybe a solar panel on the > roof. > > Cheers. > > Doug Fitz-Randolph > >