Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 May 2002 17:12:01 -0500
From:         "Dan R. Hall" <trilobite@WESTAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Overheating (still) Help!

TJ Sounds like you are getting on the right track. I assume you did the radiator bleed cut the engine off for a few seconds(I think this is to allow bubbles in the system to find there way uphill to the radiator) then restart? I can't stress enough how important it is to follow the Bentley's instructions. You have to have the RPMs raised up to where they say in order to get the coolant moving around the system. This gets the air moved to a bleedable place---radiator or the bleed screw on top of the thermostat housing. You wanna see coolant ooze out of there too with no bubbles.

Unless you are using your AC, the radiator fan really shouldn't come on at highway speeds. Air flow should be sufficient to keep the engine cool.

If your fan NEVER works this is a BIG problem and should be remedied.

I forget what year you said your van was. Assuming it is a later model, the radiator fan has two speeds. If I've pulled into a drive thru to get some quick road vittles then my fan usually comes on if I sit for very long. At the low speed you hardly notice that it is on. Also, if you have AC you can cut the AC on and the fan should operate on low speed.

During times of crisis/high heat the high speed mode kicks in and at this point the thing sounds like an airplane revving for take off. LOUD with vibrations felt through the floor.

For years, mine only worked on this speed. The low side never kicked in but every now and then after many hours of highway driving I'd hear the low side cut on for a while. I tested per the Bentley and was thinking either bad wiring or an expensive 2 stage fan replacement but I'd heard via the list years ago about a mysterious resistor that is located behind the driver's side headlight jug. One day, in search of more voltage/lumens on my headlights, I'd pulled the headlights and jugs to clean the lenses and then clean the electrical connections with some electrical cleaner that dissolves flux. I saw that pesky resistor and decided to give the connections on it a cleaning. I pulled them off, sprayed with electrical cleaner(available at a FLAPS) and scrubbed the contacts a bit with sandpaper/wire brush. Just tried to clean them up a bit. EUREKA!! That cured my fan woes and I've had low and high speeds ever since.

I think this resistor is inexpensive to replace if you find yours is bad.

Also, your thermoswitch(screwed into the radiator) could be bad. There is a radiator fan/thermoswitch test in the Bentley that is easily done after removing the lower radiator grill.

Good Luck Dan ----- Original Message ----- From: TJ Hemrick To: trilobite@westal.net Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 3:49 PM Subject: Re: Overheating (still) Help!

I bled it once already (yesterday) but today I found a really great berm and raised the front end a few feet above the rear end. It bled much better. My radiator fan refuses to work but I can drive for some time before the temprature goes past middle mark. I think on the highway it would be ok but I'm not going to risk it. I used my manual and it was a little crazy running around front to back (since I was alone) but I got it done. Now if I can just track down that radiator fan problem. I also replace the cap on the reservoir as it was bad.

Thanks for the help

TJ

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx