Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 May 2002 15:14:08 -0400
From:         Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Availability of some crucial parts & engine reman info, yes,
              you better read that!

I just came back from my very nice VW dealer to get my new coolant expansion tank ($62 CAD-$39USD). I was waiting for a less expensive one from Bow Wow auto part but after 3 week of waiting!!! I opted for an OEM.

Well, where to begin. Cummins engine was the official North America VW WB engines rebuild company, which was good up till 6 month ago. Now, supposedly, a smaller company took over (I will learn more on that subject later and I have a phone # in case) The USA had (and not have) 140 2.1L in back order till a few month ago, the main VW computer folder regarding this BO was erase a few week ago. A Chicago dealer had 50 just for himself. Ps.: when you buy VW REMAN heads, they are not new!!! At $800 CAD (About $500 USD)

So I said to my VW dealer parts person (he is a very nice guy); listen Pete, imagine that I am a proud owner of a 91 Vanagon GL (only 11 year old) and I broke one "infamous" connecting rod and my engine casing is pierced, so what do I do now. I have the choice of buying a new engine (that I don't want to do) or having one of your very well certified mechanic do the job. So he looked at me in the eye without saying anything and thinking!! (I was not laughing anymore, as the 2.1L availability is uncertain) And he said, the guy can rebuilt the engine here.. So I reply, OK, lets check for parts price, labour and availability. So we start searching on his computer (North America network system) and what do we find... NO CONNECTING ROD PART # TO BE FOUND ANYWHERE.. The only thing we found are the rod big end bearing part # (and available), the rod bolts, and some other small stuff. Of course the engine case was nowhere to be found also... I reply, ok what do I do now whit my 91 GL broken engine!!! He was not feeling well, he call the dealer manager and explain the problem (I was now getting mad, believe me, I am not nice when am mad and I was not a nice customer anymore) So the manager said (very nicely) that he will personally do some research and that it was impossible that those parts were not available anymore and he will call me very soon. I am not finish!!!

So the parts guy double check in the older book (before the had the new computer system) and NO RODS OR CORE IS TO BE FOUND, now they are very confuse. He call the chief mechanic (18 years with them) and he ask about the parts, the guy reply, mmmmm... I think there is a problem with the part #, we did order some rods last year for a customer and we had a hard time getting those. The very nice chief mechanic said to me that the connecting rods problem is somewhat new as it is a long-term problem. (Bullshit asshole, in my head I was thinking). He later said to me that when the rod were failing they was a 75% chance that they would pierce the case... haeeeuuyyyy, hoooo, I did not know I reply!!! So I finally revealed myself as an amateur mechanic and told him that I was quite aware of the problem, so I told him that I would post the result of the POOR VW parts availability on a 2000 members westy owner forum. (you should have seen the eyes of the manager!!! Sitting on the hood of an Audi T4) I AM NOT FINISH...

So I came back with many apologies from all those guys (waiting for a phone call today, if not I am calling VW North America tomorrow)

So, I call my Honda dealer (one of my friend is the parts guy). I said Jeff, can you check (Just for fun) availability for a 1984 Honda Civic Engine core an Rods, he call me back with the answer 2 minutes later.. AVAILABLE. YES THE ENGINE CORE IS AVAILABLE AND NEW.

The good news is that most other parts like pistons, sleeve, rings, main bearings were available and in stock from VW.

The conclusion: If you break your engine (core, rods), you are up for a few thousand-dollar job/engine repairs; your core is no good anymore so you wont have a cent for it. The rod problem is not the rod by itself; it's the 2 bolts holding this one. So I would now consider a "connecting rods bolts change" a "preventive maintenance".

Regards, Ben http://www3.sympatico.ca/huotx/engine1.htm

Ps.: I will keep you up to date on this subject. There is no difference between Canadian & USA customer in regard of this problem.