Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 May 2002 23:13:59 +0200
From:         Robert Steven Fish <fish@SALZBURG.CO.AT>
Subject:      Re: IS THE LIST GETTING SMALLER?
Comments: To: BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM

snipped --- ...I still consider those type of listlurkers members of this nutty community. end snipped ----

Hi all,

I try to stay out of all the politically charged and emotionally loaded list conversations (which number in the thousands of mail messages in teh past months)... That is my choice.

But I feel a desire to pipe in here with my 2 cents worth. BenT has used two words in his posting that somehow helped me to understand the situation more clearly.

Nutty and Community

If you think about what the list really is, it is exactly that... A Nutty Community. You could imagine it also being your own community, or neighborhood since you "belong" to the list, in the same way that when you move into a house or apartment, you "belong" to that neighborhood.

My point is, that I live now in 2 nutty communities. I have a neighbor across the street who built a huge automated remote controlled gate that closes off his driveway. A real piece of work! Since our street is quite narrow, and hedges or fences are along both sides the entire length, I used to always use his nice big driveway to back into with my Vanagon, when I needed to drive the opposite direction that my Vanagon was parked in. Anyway, I was out drawing with chalk in the street with my son, and saw the neighbor putting the finishing touches on his masterpiece, so I struck up some friendly neighborly conversation, asked him how the thing was working, how powerful the motor was etc. Then I asked him why he felt it necessary to build such a giant and complex gate. He looked at me and said something like, "Well, now I don't have to deal with all those people pulling into my driveway all the time just to turn their vehicles around".

Nutty Community.... I do not turn around in his driveway anymore.

I also have a virtual neighbor who is very opinionated and often rather rude. He is particularly sensitive to issues regarding communists wanting to take away his personal freedoms and rights. He will generally take a discussion which concerns a controversial topic, and twist it right around such that he starts to just make personal attacks on those who he is discussing the issues with, and quite often, the issues fall by the wayside. And as the insults fly, one would get the feeling that he is just an angry person who is rather unsatisfied with his life, and is on the lookout for an opportunity where he can attack other people, and/or their beliefs, ideas and/or opinions.

Nutty Community.... I do not have discussions with this guy anymore.

In a real community people tend to hold back a bit, and NOT vent their rage quite so excessively. In a real community where people have to live with each other, and see each other, on a day to day basis, they need to act civil at least. That doesn't mean necessarily that one loves his neighbors, but one is somehow obliged to "get along" since the neighborhood is small, and it is entirely possible that you might be stuck with each other for decades if neither one is interested in, or capable of moving elsewhere. In a real community, it is also a good idea to simply say "hello" to the neighbor who you have "crossed off of your list" and just keep on walking by, if you see him out cutting his lawn as you are having a casual evening stroll.

As one distances oneself more and more from the "real" one is able to get away with behavior which would otherwise not be possible when confronting another person face to face. We drive through our various communities, and if someone is tailgating us we instantly feel attacked, and in the protected space of our automobiles, we are able to do things like give them the finger, roll down the window and shout obscenities, or even dangerous actions like hit the brakes real hard to "teach them a lesson".

When somebody drives in a manner that inconviences us, or endangers us, then we generally take it personally and react emotionally (perhaps rightly so)... but to simply take a few moments, and put things into perspective is always a good idea, BEFORE reacting. I remember an older woman who was driving so slow down a one way street, and then slowing almost to a stop at every cross street, at a time when I was late for an appointment.... Yes, I was frustrated, I did a bit of tailgating, and considered hitting the horn, flipping her off, or yelling something..... Luckily I did not, as it turned out to be someone who I actually knew, who was lost and looking for a good friend of mine's house (which I noticed as she FINALLY pulled into their driveway).

Nutty Community.

I have run out of gas on this reply... probably another reason why I do not participate in the many "rants" on the list. I just don't have the energy. But I do think that it is important that we all treat each other like we are members of a community, because we are. On the list, off the list, at the store, on the highway, in the hospital, at work, whatever... If we all just tried to get along (in the immortal words of Rodney King), even if it means NOT speaking our minds, simply for the reason that we know that our opinions will hurt or offend others, then our communities would be better places for everyone.

I try to teach my 5 year old son about how important it is to be nice to people, and to not judge people, and to keep an open mind. I teach him that humans are fragile, I told him that people are "made of glass" so he can somehow relate to the fragility I speak of. I teach him that life is precious, and that ever person deserves respect and love. I sincerely hope that this list is still around when I hand over the keys to my 1987 Vanagon to him in 11 years!

So please, stay nutty, stay a community, and keep on driving Vanagons, and using good judgement.

RSF

Robert S. Fish Salzburg, Austria 1987 Wolfsburg Vanagon 2.1 GL Weekender 1987 Golf Cabriolet 1991 Golf