Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 May 2002 16:36:35 -0400
From:         Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: problems after head swap in '84 1.9
Comments: To: Steve Sandlin <vwcarlocks@HOTMAIL.COM>

>>Setthe valves to zero lash (rockers just touching valves). Engine would not idle, and some clatter.<<

Is clatter a clapping / clicking noise!!

Damn hydraulic lifters! I hate those.. Remember that a loose valve is a lot better than a tight one; don't worry about the valve noise so much (on a shot term), put Bob .006 and maybe a bit more. Drive the van for a few miles with .006-.010 to see if the lifter will compensate for the gap, this can take more than 30 minutes. I just finish (yesterday) a 1.6 Mazda engine with hydraulic lifters; they took a good 30 minutes to compress back, even when the engine was at operating temperature.

The other thing I can think is a wrong TDC timing, are you sure that you put the piston # 1 a TDC, how do you check your TDC? Using the distributor only is not my preferred way. Especially on a pushrod engine. All SOHC/DOCH engine have a notch on the main camshaft gear, not our beloved Westy.

Find any kind of 1/4 dowel, wood or plastic (preferably plastic) and insert this one in the cylinder trough the plughole just before the piston reach TDC. (DON'T INSERT THIS ONE TO SOON, IT COULD BREAK INTO THE CYLINDER) When the piston begin to reach the TDC and stop moving you have reach the start point of the TDC, when the piston is starting to go down you have reach the end point. Try to find the middle of those 2 positions (very small) and adjust the first piston. I know it sound archaic but believe me it works...

I know that there is suppose to be a mark on the crankshaft pulley but I never found mine.

Just a suggestion