Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 May 2002 01:17:04 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: RX7 oil cooler, anybody else install one?
Comments: To: vanagon@volkswagen.org

The brief responses are marked below. My cooler is beside the LP tank under my Westy, about the same ground clearance, currently no scoops but I have a set if I need them later. I use the stock Audi 5000 sender in the Type IV bypass port right next to the oil filter. Its shimmed to the proper position so as to maintain proper by-pass plunger spring pressure. I use a standard Empi sandwich plate and standard Mahle filter. Since all oil passing this location is bypassing the cooler it indicates the temp in the pan per-se. The thermostat is supposed to actuate at 148 degrees but where's the proof. The thermostat can be bypassed by installing a straight pin in the small plunger hole or by pulling the thermostat out completely and putting a bolt through the equalizer port between the intake and discharge cavities. At 3300 Rpms and 70/75 mph after a good one hour of hard running I get to about 220, I can drop it back to 210 by backing off slightly on speed. Night driving with 65/78 degree temps it'll drop back to 200 and stay there at 70 mph. These temps would most likely be less on a lighter vehicle. I've seen slight decrease in the CHT but the graduations are at 25 degrees so its pretty hard to be exact. I've also got good oil pressure at these ranges 800-900 Rpms, 22-27 Psi, 2400 Rpms, 35-45 Psi, 3000/3300 Rpms 60+ and at cold start up it pumps out enough to peg the gauge for 20 minutes at any Rpms over the idle. Engine oil 20/50 Penzoil. Once my engine gets to full temp the Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, CHT and Volts gauge just seem to lock and there isn't much movement for a hundred miles of constant driving. I'm very pleased with the cooler and it's a dirt simple install if you get the RX7 cooler with the lines and mounting brackets.

Stan On Tue, 28 May 2002 22:33:50 -0700 "David Marshall" <vanagon@volkswagen.org> writes: Stan, What motor are you running and what oil temps do you have now? )------ Type IV Air Cooled -------( I am running an Audi 80 2.0L block and a VW Golf Digifant II head with the stock wateroil cooler/warmer, PetroCanada 20W50 oil. Cruising along at 100km/h on the flats it is about 105C and driving up a long 8 to 10 degree grade I can get it to 115C. The highest I have seen yet is 122C. The sender for the oil temp gauge is on the top of the oil filter housing - the position closest to the block - center position is oil pressure and the front position is the idiot light sender. )------- I;m using Audi 5000 sender in the oil bypass port shimmed to proper spring tension for the bypass valve---------( I am very temped to get an 2.3L 5 cylinder oil cooler setup and dump the tiny oil cooler for something more massive like the RX7 or something from one of the automotive discount shops - I have seen a nice 30cm x 10cm x 5cm cooler out there for $40 CAD. A friend of mind is running the Audi 'sandwich' adapter and an RX7 cooler - he is finding that the thermostat should go on this setup as it doesn't open until it is really hot. ) ------- I'm using a standard sandwich plate ----------(

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3

http://www.fastforward.ca mailto:sales@fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

- Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions - Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation - European Lighting for most Volkswagen models